What iOS apps directly support a complete, "catholic" GTD workflow?
There are lots of list managers and to-do apps around. Most of them can more or less support a GTD workflow.
But, finding a clean, by-the-book GTD workflow in most of the commonly used apps in kind of a chore. Apps generally don't specifically or easily support GTD features such as:
- an action has a Project (chosen from a project list) AND a Context (chosen from a Context list)
- some actions are Next Actions, some aren't
- you usually want to see only Next Actions in a given Context
- in a review you want to see certain reports, like Projects with no Next Action
- making a project Someday/Maybe should keep it from showing up in certain views (but it should still show up for reviews)
- Next Actions generally don't have due dates or priorities associated with them
- inbox items aren't like actions, they're just notes, and might become projects with multiple actions
- inbox items can have ticker dates, which aren't due dates, they're just when you want that thing to pop back into your inbox
Anyway the question is: are there iOS mobile apps that actually implement GTD workflow without me having to carefully fiddle about mapping the app's idea of tags and priorities and whatnot into proper GTD concepts?
Nirvana is worth every penny
I have been using Nirvana now for several months. I've found it to be the best tool as my GTD system...hands down number 1.
As mentioned it is either five dollars per month or $39 per year. It is worth every penny. I can't believe how perfect the system is for implementing GTD. I can say it is the best $39 business investment I have ever made!
For example, my weekly review went from just over an hour using Evernote to now well under 30 minutes. And because they have an app for the iPhone which works on the iPad and they are web-based so it's available for Droid and PC the access is everywhere.
Imagine sitting at your desk and a thought arises and you simply add into Nirvana at your PC and you've captured that information. Or, you're out walking the dog and an idea pops into your head... you take your phone out...boom, captured. Everywhere you are your capture tool, your GTD system, is right at your finger tips.
My suggestion… skip Starbucks for a week and invest that money in what I feel is the best GTD capture tool on the planet! (No I do not work for Nirvana! But if I did I'd really get on the bandwagon and tell you how wonderful it is). ;)