GTD was recommended by a long-time colleague. He seemed pretty happy with his progress on his business, as was I. He told me about GTD, and just for fun, I purchased the audio CD's. I spend almost 2 hours in the car each day, so I find that a great way to get my "reading" in.
After about 2 of the 3 CD's, I arrived at the office and spent the day clearing my email boxes (I have 2 accounts to manage), and got them both to ZERO MESSAGES! I'm excited, and am looking at the Outlook plug-in. I'm not yet sure how this will all pan out, but so far, I'm off to a great start!
While I didn't believe the part about reducing stress, I felt invigorated once I got this far. I'm truly excited!
Emptying my email inbox was, by far, the biggest hurdle to implementing the GTD system for me. I had about 8200 messages in there! After about a week and a half, I had managed to "get in to empty" but not without having considered giving up several times :)
I average around 200-400 messages per day (about 70% of which is actual corespondence I have to deal with, the other 30% is spam and various lists, etc.) so email is a huge part of my workflow.