Nice mind map, but some of your comments raised some flags when I read them.
Originally Posted by humblepie
You do have some areas of focus items in this map, but some are projects and some are 30,000 ft goals. You also mentioned that you have difficulty closing some areas of focus; those are never marked as done. 20,000 ft areas of focus are roles and aspects of your life that you need to monitor and maintain regularly. It's very important not to mislabel things or misuse terminology; many a system has fallen apart by misuse.
- I would change "To be good at what I do at work" to "Career". Your career is an area of focus.
- I would change "Fulfill my commitment to friends and family" to two focus areas: "Family" and "Friends". Or, you could make one focus area, "Relationships" and list "Family" and "Friends" as child branches.
- I would put "Proj A" on your Projects list and manage it as a project. It is not an area of focus. If "Proj A" is a multi-year project, it might be a long-term goal. Intermediate outcomes that can be achieved in less than one year would be a project.
- You have two other "nodes" related to an area of focus called "Finances". Put that on your map.
- "Brush up on money management" could generate numerous projects such as "Set up a family budget" or "R&D money management books" or "Implement expense tracking system".
- "Brush up on trading" might generate projects such as "Set up/implement securities trading routine/program/habit". "Earn $20,000 in one year through trading" would be a longer-term goal.
- "R&D alternative income streams" would go on your "Projects" list.