Your thoughts on my implementation of GTD
Basically I wanted to have a simple checklist system and a flowing plan for how I use GTD so that there is less thinking about how to use the system and more time using it to GTD.
This is my interpretation and implementation of GTD.
1) My daily inbox processing checklist - in tray on desk; my little notebook I carry; email account; voicemail - mobile and home phone
I then take each item and apply the workflow diagram on page 120 of GTD book
2) My "buckets"
Diary calendar for hard landscape of things that need doing at specific time or day
"tickler" calendar for things to be thought about at sometime in the future. Or reminders for things that I am waiting for (also on @waiting list)
Physical a-z tickler file for things that are associated with items on tickler calendar
a-z reference files in cabinet
3) Projects - I use the 5 phases of project planning for which I have a flow chart
I then put my project plan into a word template with these headings
Project - xxxxxx
Outcome – define what I want to achieve
Plan – detail ideas
Next action list – what are the next actions
Future ideas – any notes or ideas that may be useful in the
From this I make an active project in Things following my own checklist -
• Follow “New Project Template”
• Create a project under “active projects” in things
• Add project plan word file to the project tab by dragging and dropping it. (You can have more than one next action but must only add those actions that can be done without something else having to be done first)
Add the next action / actions to the project in things
4) My weekly review is taken from the GTD book
1) GET CLEAR
• Round up loose papers and materials from around house and car
• Empty head of any ideas, projects, next actions, waiting fors, someday-maybe’s etc that are concerning me
• Process Inbox (see Inbox Processing checklist)
2) GET CURRENT
• Review my actions list
• Review past calendar data for anything that is outstanding – both diary and tickler
• Review upcoming calendar – both diary and tickler
• Review waiting for list
• Review project list – evaluate the status of projects, goals, and outcomes, one by one ensuring that at least one current action item on each project. Look through project plans and support materials to trigger new actions etc
• Review any relevant checklists – use these as a trigger for new actions
• Review that someday / maybe list – see if any projects can become active
Are there any areas that I could improve on? Any tricks that I am missing?
Any personal improvements that people have found from experience?