Filing System and Notes
I just wanted to discuss my current filing system (which is mirrored in my laptop and in my physical files). And see how I can improve it. (I didn't feel comfortable with the A-Z system recommended by David, because there's so many ways to label a particular 'thing').
Here's my system on my laptop and physical cabinets:
- For all things personal, like photoalbum, mementos, personal letters
- For all my educational files, courses, transcripts etc. Book summaries
- For all Governmental files like taxes, social security
- Investments, bank statements
5) Employ (about to rename this Career)
- Offer letters, payslips, old work files
6) Personal Admin
- Telephone bills, cable subscriptions
And on top of that, I have electronic notes in 1 directory relating to personal growth or habits or goals (so that I can search through all of them rapidly), this forms my electronic 'memory' i.e. it supplements my current mind.
So recently I've been struggling with modifying my filing system a little to be more reflective of my goals in life for e.g.:
6) Friends ...
etc. The prior filing system was driven more by paperwork than anything else, I was just wondering if driving the design from goals would be better.
Any thoughts ?