Re: Palm crisis....please help me decide what's next - Palm Pre 2 experience
I have just taken delivery of a Palm Pre 2. It's a nice device but fails terribly at the moment for easy implementation of GTD - and as David says, you need a device to attract you if it is going to work, not repel you!
Here are the most immediate and significant problems I've faced:
1. Does not sync categorized tasks in Outlook - only allows a single list of uncategorized tasks to sync and due to the poor Tasks application on the Pre 2, you can't use 'codes' in the task subjects to use as filters or for sorting as a workaround
2. Although it claims to sync Outlook Notes during the one-off data transfer during setup, mine didn't work so I don't have most of my reference notes transferred
3. Does not synchronize Outlook Notes with the Palm device during regular sync
4. Palm Pre 2 Task Lists application does not allow for customization (e.g filtering/sorting as mentioned above, changing fonts)
5. Supposed to sync with Exchange so corporate users can use it but the designers seem to have spent more time getting it to work 'in the cloud' as they call it but means via Google - this is causing a LOT of people to complain as they really only want a local sync to their desktop. It claims bluetooth will do this but I haven't got it to work yet. Connection with a usb cable does not give sync facilities.
I'm currently investigating 3rd party applications which may help solve these problems but as the developers were not granted pre-release access to the webOS 2.x code, they are playing catch up. For example, Chapura PocketMirror will probable fix most of these issues when a compatible release is issued. They have said they are workig on it but have no date for release.
I have to use the Pre 2 as it is my employers choice but it is really frustrating & disappointing when suppliers issue devices which take a massive step backwards from where things used to be.
Overall it is a nice device & if they can get the apps up to expected standards it will be very nice one to use. In the meanwhile, it just means early buyers have to figure workarounds & hacks to use their GTD setups which may have worked well for them for years.
If anyone has any suggestions for hacks/workarounds or alternative apps (which must be compatible with webOS 2.0 and above), I'd appreciate hearing about it.