I don't know where to put these in my system!
I've had the book GTD for about 6 years now and just started on implementing the whole process again in earnest for the third time. This time from a professional perspective, which I think is going to help me to really make this happen. I've been reading some of the topics here and find it really nice to read all the helpful tips and suggestions!
While working with my system the last few weeks I've come up with some things that I don't know exactly where to put. I'm guessing it really depends on each individual system, but I'm really curious about the way you would handle it!
The situations are:
- I have an item I need to have finished by the end of this week, but it doesn't matter when I do it in the week.
- I have to make a phone call on Monday or Tuesday, it doesn't matter which day, but it has to be handled latest Tuesday 5PM.
- I have to prepare for a meeting today at 4PM. It doesn't matter when I do it today, but it has to be done before 4PM.
- There is something that I really want to finish before my holiday, but it could wait until after, but then I will have to run really hard after the vacation to get it done.
Maybe here is a good time to mention that I have over 200 next actions (excluding waiting for and someday/maybe) in my system and usually so much predefined work that has to be finished that I can spend quite a few days not having to look at my lists, because I already know I won't be able to do anything of it.
- That means for point 1 its a bit dangerous to put it on my normal next actions list, because I might not see it on time.
- Item 2 I would put on my day specific list for Monday, but I might have to roll it over to Tuesday.
- Item 3 I would put on my day specific list as well, just knowing that it has more priority than something that I can do later.
- I'm not really sure how to deal with item 4. I put it on my day specific list as well, but had to roll it over until after I came back.
Seems I'm using my day specific lists quite a bit, now that I look at how I managed these items myself. I'm really interested to hear the way you would manage this!
I've already realized I've got too many open projects, some of them which I won't move on in the next couple of days/weeks/months anyway, because other things take priority over them, so one of the things on my list is to move quite a few projects and next actions to someday/maybe for the time being.
I'm really looking forward to your feedback and ideas! Thanks a lot in advance!