Are there things you can do to help yourself not-do? I imagine the following:
- Create substitute hand-to-mouth habit
-- Try several kinds of mints; choose favorite.
-- Store mints in coat, in car, at desk at work, in backpack.
- Eliminate smoking break habit at work
-- Talk to Joe about joining lunchtime walking group.
-- Buy second pair of running shoes to keep at work for walks.
-- Stock up on murder mysteries to read at desk when weather makes walking impossible.
- Eliminate lunchtime smoking associations. (Cafeteria picnic tables associated with smoking.)
-- Research nearby restaurants.
-- Talk to spouse about budgeting for restaurant lunches for at least three months.
-- Daily reminder: Eat lunch out.
- Shift smoking associations
-- Choose a workplace smoking location where I otherwise never go.
-- Daily reminder: Smoke _only_ there.
- Eliminate smoking temptation
-- Ask spouse about social obligations for the next three months.
-- Decide which ones to cancel for smoking temptation risk.
- Refresh mint supply if needed. (repeating, weekly)
- Refresh murder mystery supply if needed. (repeating, weekly)
- Evaluate further need for lunchtime out. (At two month mark.)
- Evaluate next three months' worth of obligations. (At two month mark.)
And so on, and so on.