This is my first post
About me & why I'm here?
The me part:
I'm a 5. semester software engineering student, at Aalborg University.
This year at the age of 29. I discovered I have reading disabilities in the from of Dyslexia. This actually lead me to find out I suffer from ADD/ADHD. which I get medicine for now and it helps.
The problem part:
Even though I get medicine I still have countless hours of thinking very random stuff, just sitting and doing nothing, daydreaming and especially not getting things done.
The solution part:
After sitting yesterday trying to figure out how to get more productive. I thought ill use Things to make some lists and categorize stuff. Then I will be ready! I have done this before but in vain. so I thought maybe its just Things that not working for me. Started looking for other software doing the same as Things but inspiring me. Most did until I tried the demo of them. luckily by reading all the reviews one thing kept repeating itself. "GTD" & "David Allen" here google was my friend and i found my way here .
Bought the book on iBooks and are now at part 2. After starting to read it became clear to me why software like Things haven't worked yet. I know it will help because after writing down what was nagging me the most, my reading speed for at least 2 to 5 mins was tripled! not because I read faster, but because I did not have to go back and read it again.
The new problem:
Now i have started this project of learning GTD & need to start implementing my system. Im not done reading the book and learning the system. But I realize it would be great starting to fill up the Inbox.
This is why Im here:
I want to pick the right software to implement it in first time. I have to much stuff i need to catch up on so I cant change constantly. However I will gladly scarify 3 Days finding the system instead of constantly be changing it and having it nagging me because its not the right solution.
Preferences for the system:
1. Collecting - This is key it have to be easy. Because of my ADHD i have to much random stuff popup i need to be able to collect quickly and effortlessly to my inbox
2. Inbox - One place to rule them all. This is almost as important as Collecting. i don't want to waste my precious energy, going through many processes finding my stuff and organize it.
3. Calendar (iCal) or Google Calendar integration and Reminders - Because of my ADHD I forget a lot. i have to be able to be reminded very important stuff and check things that has to be done during the day.
4. Due dates - I have to be able to know when certain things has to be done by.
5. Tags - I need to have a quick overview depending on my mood, energy and available time.
6. Prioities - Some stuff is more important then other stuff.
7. Action Lists & Lists - For motivation and ease of knowing what to choose.
8. Projects, Tasks & Sub tasks - I get alot of ideas for projects. As a software engineer I need to be able to structure those ideas so they get done. subtasks is need because I often know both the big steps to take and the small steps needed to take the big step.
9. @Contexts - To find the most suitable thing to do given the place Im at.
10. Mod ability - Since i do not want to change system and but might get more energy and new needs might pop up when getting my productivity under control. Extending for more productivity and ease of use or Removing for simplicity. would be kind of nice.
My own research and experimenting so far:
Things 2 for mac - I don't think this is a suitable solution it does not inspire me to use it.
Omnifocus trial for mac - to cluttered and same problem as Things 2
A lot of clones like Things 2 and Omnifocus. they feel either to simple or to complex.
to name a few organize, Wunderlist, ToDo, 2Do, Firetask.
TWS "The Secret Weapon" haven't try it yet. but its lacking Calendar, Reminders & Due Dates
What Im leaning towards is TSW because of its mod ability, Collect ability & its in Evernote which i already use. and just use Calendar + Reminders with it
However any suggestions to other Software systems will be highly appreciated or how to combine any of the mentioned for a good solid solution. or away for TWS to better integrated with Calendar, Reminder and due dates.
Kind regards Kasper