Put emails into next actions, or have 2 inboxes?
I am wondering on the ideal way to process my emails.
1) Put each email that has a next action into my next actions list, and move it out of my email inbox.
2) Use my email inbox as its own next actions list
Here's some ideas and notes:
- I use Gmail with Sparrow Mail on Mac OS X, and OmniFocus on Mac, iPhone, and iPad
- Option #1 is good because all of my next actions are in 1 place (OmniFocus).
- Option #2 is good because it's faster, and I don't have to copy & paste emails into my next actions list every day.
- Having 2 inboxes and next action lists makes it hard to get a clear picture of what has to be done, which makes me lean towards Option #1.
- In Option #1, my email inbox goes down to zero every day. This forces me to decide on a next action for email, not to let it sit in my inbox as I avoid how to deal with it.
- Probably my main complaint with Option #1 is that it takes time to copy emails into OmniFocus every day. I think this might be a waste of valuable time.
Right now, I'm half way doing Option #1 and halfway doing Option#2, which makes life confusing. So sometimes if I get an email that requires a lot of work to do, I will put it in OmniFocus ("Review big proposal") and smaller emails I reply to ad hoc.
What is the most GTD way to do this? What does David Allen recommend?
Tags for this Thread