I have been practicing GTD for about four years and have recently switched to a different role within my organisation, so rather than being permanently based at home and sharing desks at an office, I am now on the road selling about 60-70% of the time.
I now have a dedicated desk at our main office which has a pedestal drawer with spaces for stationery supplies and a single filing drawer, so I am fully organised and very productive when at the office, but it's when I am on the road or at home (which is most of the time) that I am struggling with how/where to store work files and stationery leaving stuff all over the place and it is hampering my productivity.
I have a small two drawer filing cabinet at home that is full with personal filing without being able to put work filing and project support materials in it as well, I also have a cupboard style desk with doors on the front and this doesn't have any drawers to hold regularly used stationery and processing tools.
In essence, I need to work the following out:
1. What to do with work-based active project support and reference files
2. Do I really need to have all processing tools (Sticky Notes, Pens, Pads, Paper Clips, Binder Clips, Fresh Files, Labelling Machine and Labels) in a bag at all times?
3. How can I organise the supplies at home and when travelling?
I tend to switch between three bags depending on the type of travel and duration:
1. Laptop Backpack for casual working in coffee shops or when at the office with no meetings.
2. Small messenger style laptop bag for professional meetings
3. Combined Carry On Suitcase/Laptop bag for overnight stays and international travel.
Apologies for rambling, but I really need to get something done with this before it drives me mad!