I though I’d share this…
I have been using a Palm for 3 years. I synch with Outlook at Work.
I have always thought it to be valuable to be able to carry my calendar, addressbook, Project, NAs, Lists etc around with me.
Since “The Day I forgot my Palm” I have had a gnawing doubt about just useful this device is.
After some brainstorming, I have concluded that in fact it is nothing to do with the tool. The real question is “Do I really need to carry around all this information with me everywhere I go?”.
And my conclusion is “No”.
At work I spend 80% of my time at my desk. The remaining 20% is at meetings which are nearly all on-site. So I literally walk to and from the meeting room.
My Weekly Review is at my desk.
I always carry a notebook for collecting anyway and then do updates at my desk.
My @desk context list can stay at my desk. Pointless carrying my @desk NAs around with me.
My Waiting Fors can stay aty desk. I need e-mail or a phone to follow them up anyway.
My @home context list can stay at home.
My @Agenda lists can be taken to the appropriate meeting with me.
My @Errands need to be with me when I’m out and about. A simple post-it inside my wallet will suffice.
I don’t have a mobile phone so I don’t need a @calls list with me at all times.
My Projects/Areas of Focus etc are only needed at Weekly Review time so they can stay at the desk.
My Calendar – well I can print out a monthly view from Outlook and carry it at the front of my NoteBook.
Get the gist? I don’t need a Palm. I don’t even need a Planner of any kind. I do need capture tools (paper and pen) and to prepare for meetings and trips but heck, I did that anyway.
I certainly don’t need to carry around reference material/Project Support.
Occasionally I do have action support to be moved between Home and Work so I’ll keep my Transit file.
...and so it goes on...only a small part of my system really needs to be mobile...
How many other people have been seduced into Palms/Planners who just don’t really need them?
Don’t forget that David Allen and Jason Womack, big advocates of there Palms, live a very mobile professional life. I would say they are in the minority.
My challenge to everyone is to review your mobile tools. What do you really need to carry with you everywhere you go? Do you waste tiem Synching, tweaking, formatting, tidying. prepping?
Can you simplify your system?