Bottom line is I don't have and can't build, a single, complete view of my life.
At work, we have to use Outlook. Aside from the fact that I very much dislike Outlook, I refuse to sync my personal tasks, notes and appointments to a closely monitored company server. I use Palm Desktop for personal PIM at work so I can still cut n paste and type data into the system. At home I mostly use Palm Desktop. Since I'm now married and need to check and update the family schedule, I have lots of appointments on Google calendar - where I also see my wife's and kids' calendars. As implied by the Palm Desktop, I do use a Palm Tungsten E, and while I hate the idiot that decided to complicate graffiti after 10 years, I still love the Palm.
This system does not work. I can not keep 3 systems in sync. I have evaluated CompanionLink for Google Calendar, which syncs Google with Palm Desktop, it solves 1 problem, but it's $30 to connect 1 app between 3 of the 2 systems. I've also seen, but have not evaluates !ntelect from Chaos Software that looks like an awsome PIM client that handles email - including a GMail api. That's another $60, and I still don't have a complete view of my world.
I need to:
1) Sync Appointment and tasks from Work-Outlook to my "system", but not sync items to W-Outlook that did not originate there. I'll settle for a 1 way import.
2) Sync my Google Calendar to my "system". I need two way sync.
3) Sync a Palm Desktop (or similar application) to my "system".
4) Get everything into my Palm TE2
5) It would be great to sync contacts with GMail or any non-Outlook mail client that can use a GMail account.
I can't be the only one having this type of fractured information issue. Can any one offer help? I've been using GTD, with various degrees of success, for 15 years. I'm currently having less success with it now than ever.