I have the same problem.
Best solutions I have found:
- Don't fold over the pages unless you are working on a completely flat surface.
- Use Levenger paper.
- Use Levenger perforation reinforcements on important "reference" pages.
- Use Levenger plastic dividers
- Don't over-fill notesbooks and/or jump up a ring size
- Use smaller sizes (Jr. & Compact) for notebooks that are used in akward places (airplane seats with fold-down trays), so that they can be used without folding the notebook back on itself
- Use Levenger Notabilia notebooks for outdoors / windy use (realizing that you will need to photocopy and punch the photocopies to get them into Circa notebooks.
I suppose you could also use a Circa notebook, folded back on itself, clipped to a clipboard.
Are these steps too much hassle? Maybe, but the advantages of the Circa notebooks, to me, still make them a better choice for me than spiral notebooks. Again, I augment use of the letter-sized Circa notebooks with smaller sizes and with Notabilia notebooks.