- Remove unwanted furniture and items, throw away obvious garbage
- Inventory the unwanted items and move them to the attic
- Do minor repairs and maintenance within the room
- Clean the room, top to bottom
- Note any future improvements we'd like to make (lighting, flooring, etc)
Moving all the unwanted items to the attic sounds like a lot of extra work. If I understand you correctly, these are the items you are offering to other family members. If your time schedule allows, why not keep those items in their respective rooms, hold the inventory until you have documented them all, and then send everyone the complete list, complete with deadline for picking up? Let the others do the heavy lifting. After they have come and gone, you can move the leftovers into the attic, and then proceed with the repairs, maintenance, and cleaning. Much less physical work, and it sounds as though you will need all your energy for this huge task.