I got myself a nice 4 drawer filing cabinet to get a trusted storage for physical things. I plan to move everything (reference) from stacks of paper, punch-hole files, drawers etc. into that cabinet. Now I'm wondering how to best structure that. At the end I know "what works for me" will be the solution. However at the beginning using "what worked for others" can shorten the path. Here are my thoughts:
- The general order will be A-Z
- Would I use Car Insurance, Life Insurance or rather Insurance - Life, Insurance - Car, effectively using groups/categories?
- Would I take paper out of my existing ring binders and redeploy them into the hanging folders or just put a reference card there (like: Bank statements are ther and there)?
- What are the best files for the cabinet. Should they be fully open or half closed, so small paper wouldn't fall out.
- What do do with bulky item (like a big fat manual)? Put it into the cabinet or reference it?
- What are the best labels? The files/labels that came with the cabinet are just a few mm in size and sit on top of the file (not sticking out)?
- What else makes the use of the filing cabinet easier?
Feedback is very much appreciated