I recently finished reading the organizing chapter of GTD and am working on processing and organizing both at home and work. This system has already made a drastic change in my life. It is brilliant.
I'm struggling with a few hurdles. Please let me know if there are already discussions on the questions listed below.
1. How do you cross-reference project lists with the related data stored in your system?
I've been writing abbreviations next to list items (such as NA or WF to indicate the project has items on the next action or waiting for lists). I feel there is something better I could be doing. I eventually plan to put the entire system into my BlackBerry so I'm looking for both paper-based and BlackBerry solutions.
2. Do most people store shopping lists in a next action folder? How about on a BlackBerry? I'm frustrated that tasks and notes are separate. I could categorize the note with a context and category such as "errands" and "next action" but this seems convoluted. I'm open to purchasing software for the BlackBerry.
3. How would you suggest handling a next action which follows a waiting for? What if there is a small list of things to do which follows the waiting for? I've been moving these lists back and forth between the waiting for a projects folders and neither feels right.
4. I'm still struggling with projects. For a project which has several actions I may forget, I write the actions on a page and file it in the project folder (vertical management). I write the next action on the next action list and the project itself on the project list. I add a "V" next to the project name to indicate that it is vertically managed as well. I know some vertical management will end up requiring file folders or large three ring binders and I feel uneasy here. Any advice?
5. I've found myself purposefully being redundant with important tasks, writing them on the next action or waiting for lists and the calendar. I think this is because half my system is on paper but my time reminders co-exist between work outlook and blackberry/home outlook (unfortunately I can not sync them all together at this time). Did anyone have similar problems?
Thanks in advance,